Proteins are the building blocks of life. They perform a majority of the work inside each cell in your body and are required for the structure, function, and regulation of the body’s organs and tissues. With that being said, not all proteins are the same.
When it comes to protein supplements, most people automatically turn to some of the more popular forms such as whey, casein, or the various different plant proteins. While these are effective forms of protein, they aren’t the only ones.
Collagen is a protein that often gets overlooked, but is just as important as any other protein -- especially as we grow older. It plays a significant role in the health of your skin, hair, nails, bones, and joints.
To help you better understand how collagen differs from the other proteins and why you should consider adding it to your daily diet, we’re going to break down everything you need to know about collagen in the body.
What are collagen peptides?
Collagen peptides, which are also referred to as hydrolyzed collagen, is a type of protein that’s found naturally in the body. In fact, it’s the most abundant protein in the body and is the major component of the muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, skin, and other connective tissues found throughout the body.
Like all proteins, collagen is made up of amino acids that are further broken down inside the body. While proteins such as whey, casein, and plant proteins largely focus on essential amino acids (those that your body doesn’t produce on its own), collagen peptides mainly deliver nonessential amino acids (those that your body produces on its own).
Collagen peptides contain 19 different amino acids in its composition, but the amino acids with the highest concentration are hydroxyproline, glycine, and proline. Hydroxyproline is the real winner here because it won’t be found in any of the other proteins.
Don’t we naturally produce collagen?
Our bodies are known to do some incredible things, one of which being the production of collagen. While your body makes its own collagen, the amount and quality of collagen produced will decrease as we age. This is why collagen supplementation is encouraged in the elderly.
Believe it or not, collagen production will start to diminish as early as 20 years old. The less collagen we have in the body, the less elastic our skin will be, full our hair will be, and strong our nails or bones will be.
When supplementing with collagen peptides, you’re going to want to look for hydrolyzed collagen. Since the body can’t break down collagen in its whole form, hydrolyzed collagen is already broken down and ready to be utilized inside the body.
Benefits of Collagen Peptides
Collagen peptides enhance the quality of your life in so many ways. It’s an essential part of the anti-aging process and can truly help you look younger and feel better.
- Improves skin health. Collagen not only improves the elasticity of your skin, but can also hydrate the skin, reduce wrinkles, strengthen the skin, and may reduce the risk of acne.
- Relieves joint pain. Collagen plays an essential role in the structure of cartilage, the tissue protecting your joints. As collagen decreases, your risk of degenerative joint disorders increases, like osteoporosis. Supplementation can help ease the symptoms and pain.
- Prevents bone loss. Bones are mainly made of collagen, which acts as the ‘glue’ that keeps them strong and durable. As collagen decreases, so does bone mass. Supplementation can help strengthen your bones and further reduce risk of osteoporosis.
- Improves muscle mass. Muscles are made up of anywhere from 1-10% of collagen. It’s necessary for both structure and function, helping you perform better and stronger. Collagen might also promote the synthesis of creatine in the body.
- Enhances weight loss. Some studies suggest that collagen supplementation can not only improve metabolism, but aid the body during weight loss. Studies suggest it can help burn fat, as well.
As you can see, collagen is not only an essential part of the body’s structure and function, but it is also known to decrease as we age. This is a large reason why many of us start to see wrinkles, skin blemishes, loss of hair color, and weaker nails as we age -- also known as the aging process.
If you’re someone that’s interested in slowing down the aging process so you can look and feel your best for as long as possible, Carefast’s Pure-Lastic Collagen Peptides could help you reach that goal.
We use hydrolyzed collagen in our powder, so the collagen is ready to be absorbed in the body. Each scoop of powder will give you 18 grams of protein and just 70 calories (no fat, carbs, or sugars), so it won’t impede on your diet too much and delivers a protein source that focuses on skin, hair, bone, and nail health.
Contact us today to learn more about how this product can help you or try it out for yourself by visiting our online store!
Click Here - To Shop
Carefast® - Simply Clean Nutrition